Lighthouse of Alexandria
-The Lighthouse of Alexandria was located on a small island called Pharos near the city of Alexandria.
-Designed by the Greek architect Sostratos and completed around 270 B.C. during the reign of Ptolemy II, the lighthouse helped to guide Nile River ships in and out of the city’s busy harbor.
-Archeologists have found ancient coins on which the lighthouse was depicted, and from them figured out that the structure had three tiers: a square level at the bottom, an octagonal level in the middle and a cylindrical top.
-Above that stood a 16-foot statue, most likely of Ptolemy II or Alexander the Great, for whom the city was named.
-Although estimates of the lighthouse’s height have ranged from 200 to 600 feet, most modern scholars believe it was about 380 feet tall. The lighthouse was gradually destroyed during a series of earthquakes from 956 to 1323. Some of its remains have since been discovered at the bottom of the Nile.